According to snopes.com, this article is false,
but it does make you think... http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp
Please circulate to all you know; Cancer update
Johns Hopkins - Cancer News from Johns Hopkins
This information is being circulated at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
No plastic containers in Microwave Ovens
A dioxin chemical causes cancer, especially breast cancer.
Dioxins are highly poisonous to the cells of our bodies.
No water bottles in freezer.
No plastic wrap in microwave...
Don't freeze your plastic bottles with water in them as this releases dioxins from the plastic.
Recently, Edward Fujimoto, Wellness Program Manager at Castle Hospital, was on a TV program to explain this health hazard. He talked about dioxins and how bad they are for us.
He said that we should not be heating our food in the microwave using plastic containers...
This especially applies to foods that contain fat.
He said that the combination of fat, high heat, and plastics releases dioxin into the food and ultimately into the cells of the body...
Instead, he recommends using glass, such as Corning Ware, Pyrex or ceramic containers for heating food... You get the same results, only without the dioxin. So such things as TV dinners, instant ramen and soups, etc., should be removed from the container and heated in something else.
Paper isn't bad but you don't know what is in the paper. It's just safer to use tempered glass, Corning Ware, etc.
He reminded us that a while ago some of the fast food restaurants moved away from the foam containers to paper. The dioxin problem is one of the reasons...
Cover food with a paper towel instead.
Consider sending this article to anyone important in your life and let them know that the information is considered to be an urban legend.
There is little or no indication of a relationship to the recent Mattel Toy recalls due to lead paint in the plastics used to make toys sold by Mattel or other toy manufacturers.
According to snopes.com http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp
the article is not true...
Also, he pointed out that plastic wrap, such as Saran, is just as dangerous when placed over foods to be cooked in the microwave. As the food is nuked, the high heat causes poisonous toxins to actually melt out of the plastic wrap and drip into the food.